Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Oh the Pain!

Just wanted to recap the happenings of today before I hit the hay. I'm just going to give a quick rundown and follow up tomorrow with more details and pictures. Karlin had the day off today and was able to be here for me most of the day. My great dad also made it up from Salem and I think my brothers are coming tomorrow. I can't wait guys!!

The majority of today consisted of pain management on my left-arm. I've had a decreasing percentage of mobility in it for about the past month. I would guess that it's about 20% mobility at this point. Occupational therapy has been visiting and will continue to visit everyday. They have supplied me with a heavy-duty splint and a sling to help me on my walks around the halls. There is concern of damage to the shoulder popping out of socket without the proper support. Additionally, they have prescribed some stretches for Karlin and I to work throughout the day. These seemed to have an immediate impact which is great because I'm left-handed!! I need my
arm!! :)

As far as pain management and drugs are concerned, small doses of morphine have been the best bet. We still are unable to locate what can best relieve the burning/shooting nerve pain in my left hand and forearm, but the splint is really helping. Otherwise we are still using oxycontin throughout the day, supplemented with oxycodone and neurontin.

I can't say how much I love my Karlin and the sacrifices she makes for me (eventhough her modesty will never allow her to talk of such things). You are so special my sweet bun! OK! no more gushy.

The one major annoyance today was that the dvd player for the room tv was malfunctioning. My family had been gracious enough to buy me the 2-disc special edition of the new Star Trek flick but Karlin and I were unable snuggle-up and gawk at the glorious special effects - Although the film does contain quite a moving and complex plotline as well. This Star Trek movie has been somewhat of a source of shame for me. You see, Karlin and I were planning on seeing it when it arrived in the theatres. Her not being a huge sci-fi fan I guess I underestimated her interest in seeing it, so I took my little brother. What a mistake! Luckily she doesn't use it against me too often. HaHa. Anyhow, I have hope that we'll be able to get cozy and let out our inner-trekkies tomorrow.

Also, tomorrow I'm hoping to put up quite a few pictures of the hospital crib and a view of the tram. Maybe some photos of the port in my chest. They were finally able to clean the area and change the bandages tonight so a nice pic is due for that. I'll also put up some pics of visitors and my splint/sling. ok... now I'm rambling the next dose of morphine is due soon. Remember, you can always ask questions of any kind and I will do my best.

Love you all so much!!

-Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment