Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day +1 and Day 0 recap!

Day +1 has started off fairly well. Yesterday was day 0! Karlin was able to stay the night with me through the transplant and that made things so much easier. I was able to gather some kind of rest last night thanks to some help from sleeping pills. Otherwise I was up 'til about 1:00 on my own. The transfusion started at about 11:45 pm. The doctor had to come in for about 15-20 minutes to make sure everything was going as planned. If there are no bad reactions within the first half hour, none are expected. Once the doctor left we knew everything was okay as far as my system accepting the new marrow cells.



Karlin was a real trooper, she stayed up a good three quarters of the whole process before finally succumbing to the uncomfortable bedding as available. Everything felt just like a normal blood transfusion. I'd heard that some people could smell weird things, like the cells could smell like garlic or creamed corn, but I didn't get any of that stuff. It was just like a normal transfusion for me.

An interesting fact for all of you guys: when you get a bone marrow transplant, your blood type will eventually change to be the same type as your donor's. So my type will be switching from O positive to A negative because my donor is A negative. In this regard it's unlike other organ transplants, where the blood type has to match between the donor and reciever.



As for the beginning of day +1, me and Karlin were greeted with a stunning view of the city complete with fog, city lights and a beautiful sunrise. It felt like new beginnings! I was able to put down a hearty breakfast with no nausea problems which is always a bonus. Me and Karlin have already put in a walk and a lot of physical therapy and stretching this morning. Now we're just taking a relaxing break for some blogging and maybe watching a movie. I'll be recieving some further low-dose chemo and anti-rejection medicine throughout the day, but it's all scheduled, nothing out of the ordinary.




We'll update with any breaking news, but most likely it's going to be a smooth day.

Love, Charles and Karlin

4 comments:

  1. Charles, you make our day by keeping up this blog. It is nice to see your face and know that all went well last night. I cannot thank your dad enough for the updates. Consider this a virtual hug, and a virtual holding of your hand. We love you, and truly do miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! Amazing! Thank you thank you for the update. I have been trying to refrain from blowing up Karlin's phone. you guys are number one, sooooo happy everything has gone well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nunz and I couldn't be more stoked to hear that things are going well! We really appreciate the updates from both of you and we're looking forward to hearing more. Charles and Karlin, you both are fantastic and strong people. My thoughts are often with you both. Love you guys! KT

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey charles and karlin

    thanks so much for the updates.

    keep up the good work, charles! you look like the dali lama in a couple of those pictures.

    happy thanksgiving!

    matt f

    ReplyDelete