Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day +129 - Not A Good Report

This is an update by Charles' father, Don.
Dear Family and Friends:
It was 1 year and 4 days since Aaron was diagnosed with lymphoma. He has been in OHSU since Nov 16th and it has been 129 days since his bone marrow transplant. He has had 9 rounds of chemo therapy, 14 radiation treatments and 3 months+ of severe Graft VS Host Disease. And, never a complaint.
Yesterday we met with Aaron's rounds Dr. at OSHU. They had taken a spinal fluid sample last Saturday. The Dr. said that the sample showed leukemia cells. The Dr. said that things didn't look good. They are going to give him chemo in the spinal fluid but because of his over all condition are not real hopeful. In the past week he has had problems and has generally gone "down hill." His voice is weak and he has had numbness in his tongue. He has had to use a catheter because of difficulty relieving himself. He has weakness and is more restful. He seemed to be doing okay and holding his own till about a week, week and a half ago. Then, it was noticeable that he was declining.
After the Dr's report there was a lot of OHSU support for the situation and Charles' and the family's needs. They are so wonderful, helpful and supportive here.
Charles and our family have been so blessed with the love and prayers of our family and many friends.
Our love, Don

16 comments:

  1. Charles and Family,

    We are so sorry to hear this latest report. I don't know what to say other that we love you, we are all sending our prayers, and offer all the support that a person can handle. Charles, you are such an inspiration to all of us. You truly are a real commando.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles, Karlin and Family,

    We are sending all of our prayers and our love. We're so sorry to hear about this recent change in your condition, and we love you sooo much. We're thinking about you Batman, as always. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How am I going to explain crying at work? I knew I should have read this at home. =(

    My thoughts are with you guys. I hope things turn around and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a lot of people pulling for you, Charles. You are one amazing guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charles, with two outs and a two strike count, I've always encouraged you to swing for the fences! As long as you are at the plate, anything can happen...Jan and I love you and we are rooting for you as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have great faith in my good friend. He's as much of a miracle man as I've ever met.

    So, keep fighting. Your friends miss you and want to see you smiling and healthy.

    Can't wait to see you, buddy. We're all staying positive over here.

    Much love as always.
    Your friend,
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  7. charles, my thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family, karlin and the staff at ohsu.

    we miss you and love you.

    matt f

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charles, I am pulling for you. I love you and miss your smiling face. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Hang in there and keep the faith that you can beat this. Love you, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chip!!!! We are all pulling for you, for your family, and for the universe to turn this all around and give you the absolute best it can.

    We won't give up and we know you won't either. Keep fighting the fight!!

    Smooches to you and Karlin and the rest of the family.

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charles:

    An entire organization is with you in this challenging time. In my 34+ years as general manager working with so many amazing team members you stand out as one of the most adaptable, positive and versatile of them all. Your "can do" spirit and "get it done" attitude is felt amongst us. Please know you are loved and in the hearts of all of us. I am counting on you making it through the current challenge because I want to continue writing you one of my Holiday Letters for a long, long time.

    Your Friend,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charles,

    I know that if anyone can beat this, you can! You are one of the most amazing people I know and an inspiration to all of us. I'm still hoping to see walk through the door laughing and smiling!

    I love you and I wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you always.

    Take care!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charles and family, my thoughts are with you all.

    We're all pulling for you!

    I'm gonna play some super tramp tonight in your honor/benefit. If only I had an alphabet troop record!

    Eric Cook

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear wonderful Nephew,
    You are such an inspiration of strength and courage. Keep up the fight and know that we and so many others are praying for you. You are amazing and Uncle Lee and I sure love you. Hugs and kisses to you Karlin, your parents and brothers. Much love,
    Uncle Lee and Aunt Pam :))))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Charles,

    Lovebug be strong. I love you and Karlin soooo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My thoughts are with you, buddy. You're gonna kick this thing, Chuck Norris-style.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Charles,
    Prayer for you. Strength to you.
    I hope to see you again.

    -CJ

    ReplyDelete